but I’m wondering as to why you don’t feel the need to throw that money at building up a bigger emergency fund? You have a family and you live in CA. Contrary to what Dave teaches, $1000 really isn’t adequate for you, realistically. I understand you have a financial background, and I also understand that you don’t want to carry this debt, but to be honest, for a long time, I’ve wondered why you haven’t concentrated on building your emergency fund to something more substantial along the line of $3000 (or more to be honest) before you start aggressively attacking those bills? I’m not trying to be confrontive here, so if I sound that way, I do apologize, it’s not my intent. I just have felt with all the uncertainty, and the fact that your husband’s job situation has been rather precarious, and you do have a number of children, and last of all, you’re renting and things can always change there, why don’t you pause on the aggressive bill repayment and build up a lot more security for your family?
We ended up all messed up and the airlines had to put us up in a hotel in Houston for the night on Friday. Our flight from Houston to Midland was to leave at 7am but it was cancelled. So we ended up getting on a 12:15pm flight out.
My flight out to Reno on Thursday was delayed from 3:40 pm to 4:30 pm. I was worried about making my connecting flight in Chicago, but that was delayed as well. Apparently storms across the Midwest affected a BUNCH of us travelers…
The stupid plane was delayed so much that we wouldn’t have made our connecting flight in Las Vegas. So that meant the airline had to bump us. Since we were to be on the last plane leaving Las Vegas to Midland, we are now flying tomorrow. HOPEFULLY!!! I am so worried about making our connecting flight. We are scheduled to get into Las Vegas at 2:35pm and out flight leaves to Midland leaves at 3:25pm. I’ve been watching the flights all week and they have been consistantly delayed!!!!
At this rate we may never get there. To my praying friends, please say a prayer for us. This is stressful and my anxiety is high.
It is at a lot higher interest rate than our first mortgage and there is less than $10,000 separating the two in balance. So by the time we get to the mortgages later this year I may move the second one up for two reasons:
1) The 3.9% difference in interest—I know DR says not to look at that, but on around $40,000 that is a lot of money to consider (roughly $300 per month)
2) Once the second is gone we can put the full amount against the first, where if we pay off the first before the second because it is the lower of the two we could only put part of that snowball money on the second because we would still have to come up with the money each year for the things escrow normally covers.
If I had a balloon looming I’d definitely add it into the snowball and kill it fast because while $6,000 doesn’t sound like much it could be huge in 2020—life happens.
Do you already have the balloon in your snowball, or is it along with your mortgage? Since the balloon has a FINITE deadline, I’d move that up on the priority list. The value of the house doesn’t matter – look at it as a “180 days same as cash” deal. If it’s not paid off by the end of the term, it will cost you BIG time…
I haven’t been around lately, but that doesn’t mean we’re not working towards getting rid of debt!
We’re actually doing ok right now…putting money towards snowball, making all of our bills every month, etc.
I wanted your thoughts on a balloon second mortgage. Yes, I know I shouldn’t get one..but too late, we did, 9 years ago. Our original mortgages came in two…a larger one, and a smaller, balloon payment one (what can I say, we were 24 and stupid)
So, with all of this paying down of debt….wondering where to put in the balloon mortgage? It’s currently at $25,000, and if we paid at current payments, we’d have to come up with $6,000 when it matures in 2020. My next in line snowball is my car…which is at 8,000. So, do I add the balloon mortgage after the car is paid off? Or do I throw money at the balloon? Keep in mind our house is currently worth less than we owe…we’re closing that gap, but still not there. I’m hoping that it would be possible to refinance to a smarter, 15 year mortgage before the balloon comes due…but not a guarantee. We committed to not walking away from this house and leaving someone else holding our debt.
Other good news – many of our stupid things things of the past will begin to roll off our credit report this year!! Yay for improved credit if we do try to refinance!!
I looked at all those Goals for the Weekend and so many were filing taxes.
I thought. OK. It’s going to be ugly, but I’m going to sit down RIGHT NOW and file our taxes.
Yeah. SO I SHOULD HAVE SUCKED IT UP AND DONE IT IN FEBRUARY.
The GREAT NEWS: We get $3065 back from the Feds and $684 back from the State.
The BAD NEWS: They’re not actually going to send us checks.
The GOOD NEWS: I imagine they’re going to confiscate it to pay our federal and state back taxes. But that means at the end of the day, we might only owe the Feds about $1200 and the state about $200.
THAT is a HUGE WIN for us. Can you imagine? Being almost debt free from the Feds and State after being unemployed for nearly a year??
I am THRILLED !!
for whiplash and a shoulder sprain/tendinitis, I finally finished up. I figured out that I spent 60 dollars weekly for this – or about 1200 total. It was needed, but now I have that money to put back towards my goals. The snowball suffered some, but we did not go into any more debt during that time.
That was on top of spending 900 last spring for PT for my knee. Worth it to be pain free, but I hate spending the money.